Thursday, April 5, 2007

For The "Shear" Fun Of It

I received a present in the mail the other day. No, not candy this time (darn!) but a very nice pair of pruning shears along with a little note. I promised to use them well and have photos to prove it.

I headed out with the shears, my camera, and a tripod, waved to my rather nosey new neighbor, and headed into the woods (can you tell yet how much I love being outdoors?) I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to find anything resembling a good switch because 1) the woods still look pretty dead and 2) I've never had to cut a switch without someone along to point out what one to cut.

I couldn't find anything other than dried out twigs on the trees and was about to give up when I discovered some sort of plant sporting nice thorn-free, switch-like shoots. Just the right diameter, flexible, perfect. The shears worked beautifully to clip and trim my find.


Now since I was out there alone, I didn't have anyone to actually test out the switch on my bottom. I made a valiant effort to test it on myself but a switch isn't easy to control when swatting at your own backside. I ended up missing my butt and having it wrap around my thigh on impact and that was quite enough of that! The next time I head out to make use of the shears, I'll be sure to bring along someone to help me out. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you obviously didn't grow up in the south...as a child, you kinda learn which are switches and which aren't...

and yes..it's the worst thing in the world to do to a kid :) not so fun as an adult either :)

Richard Windsor said...

Sticks his hand up to volunteer..... for the sake of art, of course ;-)

Amber Pixie Wells said...

Anonymous - nope, I'm a Yankee bred kid. Although I was spanked growing up, I never had to go out and pick my own implement!

Richard - how thoughtful of you to be willing to volunteer all in the name of art. I'm touched. *sniffle* I really am. :-P

Anonymous said...

ha... sure the line of volunteers would be a long one. Love the outdoor pics. Doesn't sound like you can use a switch on yourself very well... but you sure know how to take a great pic of yourself.

L)
~Todd & Suzy

Anonymous said...

The next time I head out to make use of the shears, I'll be sure to bring along someone to help me out. :)

What that line of people extending off over the horizon...?

{big grin}

Mark

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh man. Do you have any idea how many folks are lining up or waving their arm saying "PICK ME PICK ME I'll help you get a good switching next time." ? ;)

So who was the cameraperson for this shoot?

The pics alone are just stunning as always but that last pic of your bare bottom....heaven. :)

Amber Pixie Wells said...

So one of these days I'm going to head out into my usually secluded woods only to find a line of helpful volunteers? Can't wait! :)

007 - my cameraperson was Canon T. Tripod. Just me and a timer!

CountryBoy45 said...

Nothing quite compares with the sting of a switch. Count me in to be near the front of that line. :) From what can be seen in that pic, looks like you did a nice job of picking a switch for a Yankee-bred kid. :)

Anonymous said...

Pixie,

I'm way too late to volunteer. How about a raffle?

Tim